9.22.2013

An Eskimo Birthday, Illustrator Glo Coalson

Today's vintage children's book is An Eskimo Birthday, written by Tom D. Robinson and illustrated by Glo Coalson and is from 1975.

Glo Coalson is an artist, illustrator and a sculptor from Abilene, Texas. After graduating from college, Coalson moved to Alaska where her brother and his wife lived. Her sketches from her time there provided the inspiration and material to illustrate children's books with Eskimo characters.




I did a post on another book by Glo (love that name) awhile back, and unfortunately my scanner went out after just three pages. I need to find that book and repost it, as there is a limited number of images and info on the web
about Glo Coalson and her work. 

In my previous post the link for her website is no longer active as she seems to have moved on to other work.  Click here for a short paragraph about Glo Coalson and her current work.



I'm not sure what medium Coalson used for this book (charcoal and ink?),
but I like her style and obvious skills.






An Eskimo Birthday
By Tom D. Robinson
Pictures by Glo Coalson
Dodd, Mead, 1975

13 comments:

  1. I quoted, excerpted and linked to your wonderful site on our Barking Planet blog when I wrote about the dark forest and Little Red Riding Hood. http://barkingplanet.typepad.com
    Best wishes,
    Robert McCarty

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’ve written nice post, I am gonna bookmark this page, thanks for info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi very nice blog! I'll bookmark this website. Thanks for blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many useful information here in this post, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bookmarked this website, This site contains valuable information

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really happy with the articles quality. Keep on blogging, its great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a lot for this great stuff here. I am very much thankful for this site.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could certainly see your enthusiasm in the article you write.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great article I enjoy reading your thoughts. More power to your website. Please visit mine too

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent website. Lots of helpful info here. I am sending it to some friends ans additionally sharing in delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like what you guys tend to be up too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't even understand how I stopped up here, but I thought this submit used to be good

    ReplyDelete
  13. You really amazed me with your writing talent. Thank you for sharing again

    ReplyDelete