1.17.2012

Thumbeline, (Thumbelina), Lisbeth Zwerger

"Children must often contend with people and things that are so much larger or stronger than they are, and even grownups can feel pushed about by the giant toads and moles and Junebugs of this world. It is no surprise, then, that the story of tiny Thumbeline has captured the imagination of readers and listeners ever since it was first published in 1835." (Back cover of Thumbeline)


Today's vintage children's book is Thumbeline, or as many of us know it, Thumbelina. This version of the Hans Christian Anderson story is illustrated by
Lisbeth Zwerger. Zwerger's work is held in great esteem and has been compared to 19th century illustrators. She was born in 1954 in Vienna.






Thumbeline, Hans Christian Andersen
Translated from the Danish by Anthea Bell
Illustrated by Lisbeth Zwerger
Picture Book Studio, 1988

3 comments:

  1. I love Lizbeth Zwerger! I have two of her books already :): The Wizard of Oz and Hansel and Gretel. I adore her use of watercolour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how I wish I could get my hands on this book! I love Zwerger's illustrations. Thanks for sharing this treasure!

      Delete
  2. Zwerger is one of our favorites too. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete